Don't let the wrong information cost you money!
- Myth: Setting the thermostat higher or lower will heat or cool a room faster. Reality: Furnaces and air conditioners work at the same speed no matter what the temperature setting.
- Myth: Leaving lights on uses less energy than turning them on and off. Reality: In most cases, the small surge of power needed to turn a light on is much less than the power that is wasted by leaving it on when it’s not needed.
- Myth: Closing off vents will reduce heating and cooling costs. Reality: Closing vents throws the system off balance, resulting in duct leaks that waste energy.
- Myth: Leaving a ceiling fan on will cool a room. Reality: Ceiling fans circulate air making your skin feel cooler, but they don’t cool the air.
- Myth: Hand washing dishes is cheaper than using a dishwasher. Reality: Washing a typical load of dishes in a dishwasher uses 37 percent less water than hand washing and can cut your annual energy costs.